- The event will be known as the National Youth Jazz Competition.
- There are 2 Sections within the competition:
- (i) Jazz Big Band Section – must have a minimum of 11 players and no more than 22 players. These must include a minimum of at least 1 trumpet, 1 saxophone, and 1 trombone. The Big Band competition is open to all bands whose performers, whether vocal or instrumental, are enrolled at any secondary school.
(ii) Jazz Combo Section – must have a minimum of 4 players, and a maximum of 8 players and all players must be enrolled at any secondary school
NB: Vocalists are counted as players in all sections. A player may only perform in 1 group in each section. (Dispensation may be applied for, by writing to the National Youth Jazz Competition Director)
- Each Jazz Big Band competing in the Big Band competition must play FOUR pieces:
(i) Set piece. This item will be set each year by the Head Judge with the Tauranga Jazz Society Youth Jazz Committee. Information re availability will be notified via entry forms. This item will include an open section for solos, and at least 3 soloists must be featured.
(ii) own choice – ballad (iii) own choice – latin, jazz rock, funk or modern jazz
(iv) own choice – swing
NOTE: the maximum playing time is 20 minutes. Points may be deducted if bands perform over the time limit (allowances will be made for equipment failure.) Judges take into consideration the amount of difference in styles between the four pieces that are played.
- Each Combo competing in the Jazz Combo section must play FOUR pieces. One of these pieces will be a set piece selected by the Head Judge with the Tauranga Jazz Society Youth Jazz Committee. Information re this item will be notified via entry forms.
NOTE: the maximum playing time is 20 minutes. Points may be deducted if bands perform over the time limit (allowances will be made for equipment failure.) NB Judges take into consideration the amount of difference in styles between the four pieces that are played.
- One full score of each Big Band piece is to be provided. Combos must provide a full score, reduced score, or lead sheet for each piece. These must be given to the Judges prior to your performance.
- All pieces will be judged and carry equal weight in the judges decision. The judges decisions are final.
- Only the sound system provided, shall be used by the competitors. The Big Band section will have 5 microphones available to be used at your discretion. Four mics will be provided in the Combo sections. Electric keyboard and Grand Piano, drum kit, guitar and bass amps will be supplied. Music stands will be provided.
- Band leaders may not perform with their bands.
10. If an original composition or arrangement is being performed, this must also have a score provided and be listed on the entry form.